Joseph’s eldest son, Herbert John, joined the business as a wheelwright’s assistant. He was described as a thin, delicate man, but his skills led to a considerable expansion around the turn of the century. Herbert was interested in new developments in transport and is reputed to have owned the first motor car in Bedfont.
Herbert continued the family tradition, designing many items including the horse-drawn marker seen here. This was used to mark out the fields so that the seed could be planted quickly and evenly.
The expanding business resulted in Herbert renting more land adjoining the original site and then in 1907 he purchased the original site and the plot next door. Herbert bought lots 5 & 6. The Spinney is the building shown in Lot 6 in the bottom right hand corner.
This petrol station was built on land which Herbert originally rented in 1898 and later purchased. The building is still in existence and can be seen from the A30.
Herbert John, seated front row second from the left, in his later years. His son Reginald is seated fourth from the left.