Gibbs opened a branch of the firm in Ripley, Surrey in 1938. This branch specialised in agricultural equipment and designing and installing irrigation systems; in 1948 they won the contract to supply a new irrigation system for the White City stadium in London. They also planned and designed farm units and buildings such as milking parlours and grain stores.
The Ripley branch was built on the site of Ryde House School.
The white building in the central foreground was the Gibbs showroom in Ripley, Surrey. The workshops were located to the rear of the building.
COLES OF BRACKNELL
Gibbs acquired the firm Coles of Bracknell, Berkshire on 1st February 1947. This firm of agricultural engineers was bought from the Bunch family, Ernie Bunch (son) stayed on to work for Gibbs. The Bracknell operation was forced to close in 1967 when the site was compulsorily purchased by the Bracknell New Town Development Corporation.
Ernie Bunch (on the right) seen with customers at a very wet Wokingham show in the early 1950’s.
The photograph shows Coles workshops, the firm's offices were located in the house to the right of the workshops.